A Laboratory (informally, lab) is a facility that provides controlled conditions in which scientific, experiments and measurement may be performed.
It is imperative for schools/college to have the latest and high quality science lab these days science is different from any other subject. In order to understand its concepts, one has to look beyond the books and conventional classroom teaching. Effective teaching and learning of science involves seeing, handling and manipulating real object and materials.
Physical science lab equipment allows students to interact directly with the data gathered. They get a first-hand learning experience by performing various experiments in their own. It is also found that school/college science lab equipment and supplies make teaching and learning easy both for the teachers, as well as for the students.
The main aim of the Physical Science Laboratory Work Are
- To make the student familiar with some of the equipment and terminology used in science.
- To help student understand the underlying principles/theories behind the experimental techniques and test the theoretical knowledge with real data.
- To train the student in the analysis of data and in its presentation in tables and graphs. To help students develop the skills for writing and presenting technical reports in the most effective manner.
- To train students in experimental methods.
- To give students experience of working in a team. Team work will be importance to you, whatever career you finally pursue.
Five groups of objectives that may be achieved through the use of the laboratory:-
- Skills:- manipulative, inquiry, investigative, organizational
- Concepts: - For example, hypothesis, theoretical model, taxonomic category.
- Cognitive abilities: - Critical thinking, problem solving, application, analysis, synthesis.
- Understanding: - the nature of science scientific enterprise, scientist and how they work, existence of a multiplicity of scientific methods.
- Attitudes: - For example, curiosity, interest, risk taking, objectivity, precision, confidence, responsibility etc.
Common Equipments in Chemistry Lab:-
- Balance – Used for measuring mass.
- Beaker – Used to hold mix and heat liquids.
- Beaker Tongs – Used to pick up beakers.
- Bunsen burner – Frequently used as a heat source in the absence of flammable materials.
- Burette – Used for dispensing an accurate volume of a liquid.
- Erlenmeyer Flask – Used to hold and mix chemicals the small neck is to facilitate mixing without spilling.
- Funnel – Used to transfer liquids or fine grained material into containers with small opening also used for filtration.
- Stirring Rod– Used for string and mixing.